Cattery or cat-sitter. What do you think?

Am beginning to get anxiety! How can we go away and leave Mr Rochester, our quiet, shy, self-contained house cat??? Should he stay at a cattery? Or should someone come in to visit him? Will he be lonely all alone in a silent house for a week?? Any help and advise much valued - and if anyone has a recommendation for a cattery or cat sitter, that would be appreciated. Thank you

1 Like

Debating the same, my George does go outdoors, but I know when we leave him a lone overnight with an automatic feeder he does miss us, and my neighbour would be willing to pop in and feed him, but I think any more than one night and he’d get lonely or try to move in nextdoor! I also worry because there was a bully cat around and our cat had been attacked a couple of times, though not recently. I wouldn’t want that to happen while we were away so perhaps a cattery might be better- however as a rescue cat who came from a cat shelter I worry that wil lbring back memories of that for him, taking him away from his territory. Really not sure!

1 Like

I had the same dilemma for Clarence. We are going away for 2 weeks in July and although my Son in Law said he would pop in to feed him, Clarence would still be alone for majority of the time…After careful consideration for his needs and much searching , I’ve booked him in to Longcroft Cat Hotel. They have Hotels based throughout the country and seem to offer a very good service. Booked Clarence in for the basic day rate, I have asked them to feed Clarence with his own food Katkin ,which they have agreed will be no problem. I’m sure he will have a very nice holiday at Longcroft.
You can look them up on the internet. Hope this is helpful

1 Like

Hi Jane, completely understand your anxiety at leaving Mr Rochester, I always get a bit nervous leaving my cat Reggie. :yellow_heart:

I have done a few different options in the past - I have a neighbour who is happy to pop in and check on him, and a local family member who he knows and loves who can also pop in. But I have also used cat sitters before - you can arrange for them to come in once or twice a day via sites like cat in a flat, (or pay extra and some will stay over). And you can meet them beforehand and they may spend more time than a neighbour (depending on the neighbour). I had a good experience with them, but obviously the neighbour and the family member are popping in for free.
I live in SW London and I have also seen there are some local companies that will come in and visit while you’re away.
I also have a food timer for if they can’t get there at the times he is used to having his food - you can put an ice pack in with it and the food is covered.
For Reggie I wouldn’t use a cattery as he just likes being at home so I’d prefer not to disrupt his routine too much. Growing up my mum used to put our family cat Bethan in to a cattery if we went away for 2 weeks as it was too much to ask a neighbour to come in for that long. She was generally angry at my mum for about a day when we got back, but she was always fine in the end!
Reggie and Bethan were both rescue cats so they may be more anxious than some, both very shy with strangers.

I hope that helps, holidays are very important too! :smiley_cat:

Emma :paw_prints:

2 Likes

Hi Jane,
Eric & I are very fortunate that we have an amazing next door neighbour. All it costs me is a couple of bottles of wine & Netflix!!
Eric is very shy & doesn’t like strangers, so Ruth is an absolute godsend.
I hope you find a solution that suits all of you - but cat-sitter is my suggestion xx

3 Likes

Hi Jane, I completely understand. I used to get such anxiety leaving my cat Khaleesi when we went on holiday. I found Cat in a flat to be a great cat sitting service. They will come and stay at your house overnight. My cat sitter Heather stayed for 2 weeks. You get to meet them first so you feel comfortable with your choice. Hope this helps.

Maria :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

I work in a boarding cattery myself, so I am a bit biased. You know you’re cat is 100% safe, being monitored and checked up on - not to mention getting extra love!
It’s personal choice really, I know my girl would pace the house crying for me if I was away, whereas if I boarded her I would be getting photo updates, and I know she’d always have a bit of extra love and I’d have peace of mind. xx

2 Likes

That’s so interesting to hear, definitely useful to get the inside scoop so we can make the best decisions for our little ones. :paw_prints:

2 Likes

Hi Laura. Thanks for your reply. Is your cattery in London?

1 Like

no in the West Midlands :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: x